Saturday, March 28, 2015

An open letter to MS Dhoni from a hater

Hi Mr.Dhoni,

There have been plenty of occasions for me, in the past, to address you.This one, as India bows out of the World Cup Semi final, shall be the most appropriate for a Dhoni hater like me to do that. A Dhoni hater, as regarded by the ‘true’ lovers of the game,  are haters of the Indian team as such.They suppose that we are now celebrating India’s exit out of the tournament out of so much hate for you.I don’t have the time for them as to exonerate myself from the ignominy. Let us remain traitors, as such.

I actually wanted to address on the occasion of you, completing 100 wins as the ODI captain. I am your hater and I cannot unfetter myself out of my strong impressions on you to come out and congratulate, on such a humongous achievement. Enough said.

As I can see the whole of India, rarely in its 65 year long history, cutting across divisions, from a Brahmin to a Dalit, from a Christian to a Parsi, from a Kashmiri to a Kannadiga, from a CEO to a municipality scavenger, from a RSS-man to a Naxal sympathizer, as though in pursuit of an Alexandrian conquest, aligning behind a single individual.That is behind you. The social media likens you to a Rajnikanth or Ajith Kumar and not a single Kamal Haasan fan or a Vijay fan seem to be offended by it. Even during the India-Pakistan wars of 1971 or 1999 or the Indo-China war of 1962, did the nation display such unbreachable solidarity. Cricket, and (unfortunately) cricket alone has been succeeding in uniting India.

Therefore, in some ways, you are the privileged individual who symbolizes Indian unity.This is not to say that you are the first or the only one to conjure this sort of unprecedented euphoria. But, for people who are less than 30 years of age, like me, the Dhoni cult is something that is remarkably peculiar.(and for haters like me, obviously abhorrent)

In 2004, on a hot afternoon, a lanky,unattractive, long haired boy wicketkeeper was reported to be tearing the Pakistani pace battery to smithereens. He was said to be a MS Dhoni. “Enna da peru, Dhoni, kappal nu??” was my first reaction on hearing your name. You had ended up scoring 148 in an ODI. A few months later, during a Diwali eve, India lead by my Rahul Dravid, was chasing a mammoth 290-something against Srilanka in a home ODI series. I was talking with my relative that India will lose if Dravid loses his wicket ( I don’t remember Sachin playing the series, may be he was out on an injury) as we were losing early wickets. He replied immediately, “Dhoni irukaanla??” I saw you walking out of the pavilion to take strike. I went out, having no interest to watch India lose. After coming back, he beaming at me, “Dei India won”.

“Oh , enga thala evlo adichaaru?”
“183 da”
“Oh mass ah?”
“Dei Dhoni da”
“Avan evlo adichaan?”
“Dhoni than da 183 not out”

The next day newspapers carried an image of you holding the cricket bat with its handle to the crowd and the other end tucked within your elbow. It was your pose after hitting the winning runs. It was like seeing a ‘Predator’ Arnold Schwarzenegger posing with his AK-47.



This is precisely why the Dhoni cult is so peculiar to us.We still cannot divorce that old unforgettable image of yours from what you symbolize today.But there is a question, has India not witnessed a bigger cult formation before?Is Dhoni a bigger star than Sachin Tendulkar?

Sachin Tendulkar, many may recount, was a legend even before people of my age, had learned that an ‘over’ in cricket consisted of six deliveries. Sachin, to us was born with the halo around him. For you,we built it.Sachin was the cricket equivalent of the Superstar Rajnikanth. Mr Dhoni, you don’t have a cinema equivalent yet.

Inspite of all this, I still have serious reservations against you. I would have anyday rooted for your promotion up the batting order, to shepherd the team in difficult circumstances ,atleast when the Indian team was trying to regroup as a unit post the retirement of its ‘Fab Four’.I would still go to great lengths in defending my stand that you were the worst test captain India ever produced.Is it really unfair, to expect from a captain who has 3 ICC limited over trophies in his kitty, to reproduce atleast half of his virtuosity in the longer format of the game, especially in overseas conditions when it is all the more needed? People forget test debacles and try to defend you with your fabulous exploits in the ODIs which is precisely the act of burying the fully grown pumpkin under a small mound of rice. You were not interested in test cricket, just like these people are and were glad to retire when you felt you had a replacement. Isn’t test cricket, as my Dravid says, life source of cricket? You were a Basha in ODIs and a Lingaa in test cricket. Let me stop here, sensing my susceptibility to become interminable whenever I am asked to accuse you.And more importantly, what I have already said against you so far, is too much, for this occasion by any standard.

As a fan of cricket, (not a fan of Indian cricket, because my patriotism steadily declined to nought post the retirements of Rahul and Sachin), I am nobody to pass a judgement on India’s show in the CWC 2015, as absolutely clinical and uncharacteristically sublime, given the pathetic overall form of the team in recent months.

And personally, I felt that your hand in India’s stellar showing was all there for us to see. I genuinely admit, that there were moments in this World Cup, where I felt, my long dead patriotism was showing signs of resurrection before being overpowered by the Semi final disaster.

But, Mr Dhoni, none can deny your admission to the canon of Indian greats and there will be so much hate for all the love you will manage to win in the future as well. We will remain haters and we will have a reason to defend.

Now, as a captain, it will be really agonising to have lost a hard-won trophy, inspite of having outdone yourselves to retain it. But as you may see, you have so far, succeeded in building a team for the future,which is no less a marvellous and an equally thankless task. We need you to lead the team in the next edition of the WC as well.Let us hope that my next letter to you, after four years, at the end of the 2019 WC be less cold and more patriotic.

With hate,
Jeeva P.

No comments:

Post a Comment